How to submit a recommendation letter for an HIEP Grant applicant
If you have been asked by an undergraduate student to write a recommendation letter on their behalf for their HIEP Grant application, you will submit your letter through the HIEP Grant Faculty Recommendation Portal. You will have access to the portal, once your student has submitted their HIEP Grant application.
Note: IU graduate students and staff cannot provide a faculty letter of recommendation. Your status must be listed as "Faculty" under "Affiliation" on the IU Address book.
When you access the recommendation portal, you will see a list of all students that have submitted their HIEP Grant applications and listed you as their faculty recommender. Students will be automatically added to this "pending" list, as they submit their applications.
In your letter, please answer the following questions about the applicant and their planned international experience. Add any comments you deem appropriate.
- How long, how well, and in what context do you know the applicant?
- Have you discussed the applicant's plans?
- Are the applicant's expense estimates realistic?
- How will the proposed international experience contribute to the applicant's academic/professional/personal growth?
- If the proposal includes independent activities, does the applicant have the intellectual/personal maturity for a successful journey?
- In your estimate, what is the single most compelling reason the Honors College should make this award to this applicant?
You may type your letter in Word and then copy and paste it into the text box on the online form. Once you have submitted your letter, the student's name will move from the "pending" list to a "submitted" list. This movement will serve as your confirmation that you have successfully submitted your letter. You will have the option to view your submission.
If you have any questions or need to edit a submitted letter, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Term||Student applications due||Faculty recommendations due|
|Summer trips||March 26. 2021||April 2. 2021|
|Fall semester & academic year||March 26. 2021||April 2. 2021|
|Spring semester||Last Friday in October||First Friday in November|
|Winter break & spring break trips||Last Friday in October||First Friday in November|